Monday, August 08, 2005


RIP Peter Jennings

posted by Rob at 10:32 AM

Back in the 1980s as I rose every morning to go to school, my mom always had the ABC News morning show on. In the evening, after dinner and before mom's 7 p.m. bedtime, it was Peter Jennings to which we turned. He was the man I enjoyed hearing from as I turned from child to pre-teen to teenager.

Tom always looked a bit too clean and spiffy. Dan tired too hard to be cool. Peter came across as a real person. He downplayed himself and simply told me what was happening in the world.

At least, that's how I remember him. When I went to college and later found the internet, I gave up evening news. But this morning I find myself thinking back to then as I read what's happening now:

Nearly four months to the day since he announced in a hoarse voice on his evening newscast that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer, longtime ABC "World News Tonight" anchor Peter Jennings died Sunday, according to the ABC News network. He was 67.

RIP Peter Jennings.

UPDATE: Tim Graham reminded me of one of Jenning's endearing traits:
His way of defining the news was to begin most newscasts with "We begin tonight with," with the royal "We" marking what would be seen as important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home