What happened when in New Orleansposted by Rob at 12:44 PM
It was down when I tried to read it earlier this week, but it appears Rightwing Huthouse is back with its in-depth "KATRINA: RESPONSE TIMELINE."
The report details what happened when and who said what from Friday, August 26, until Friday, September 2. It answers a lot of questions and clarifies several contentions from the past week, including (emphasis in original):
TUESDAY, AUGUST 30and
MorningOvernight, New Orleans city officials consider whether or not to use the Ernest E. Morial Convention Center as an additional refuge for survivors:
City officials said they might open the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center as a temporary refuge to shelter an estimated 50,000 people made homeless by the storm.
This is the first mention by city officials of using the Convention Center, a shelter not listed in the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan nor listed in any other public statements as a place of refuge for residents. As of 9/7, there is no evidence city officials ever told FEMA or LA Homeland Security officials that they planned to use the Center to house evacuees. Revised 9/7
In an interview with Hugh Hewitt on 9/7, Fox News Correspondent Major Garrett reports that the American Red Cross was ready to go to the Superdome “on Monday or Tuesday” to assist in the relief of the 25,000 people who had taken refuge there but were prevented by the Louisiana Department of Homeland Security from doing so. According to Garrett and this FAQ at the Red Cross website, the reason given was because their presence “would keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city.” Revised 9/8An invaluable peice of work. Thanks RW Nuthouse.