Thursday, October 06, 2005


Meirs vs. Roberts (or, Appalachian versus UNC)

posted by Rob at 9:34 AM

Back in my college days at Appalachian State University, I did pretty well grade-wise. For a few semesters I was even on the dean's list. A friend at UNC Chapel Hill once tut-tutted my effort, arguing an "A" at Appalachian would be a "C" at Carolina.

That comment comes to mind as I read how the Meirs nomination is being framed. As The Common Man puts it, it's "Conservative common folk" versus the "Conservative elite."

Alamo Nation frames it pretty well:
In the last two days I have heard both Ann Coulter and Tony Snow (not an Ivy Leaguer) question Miers' intelligence. Coulter indicated that Miers' senate confirmation hearings would "make Joe Biden look like a constitutional scholar" while Snow suggested that if asked by a senate judicary committee member about Article III Sec. 2 of the Constitution that Miers would respond with a "Huh?"
I admit, as a graduate of a great university not included among "the elite," I have a soft spot for Meirs. I like that she's an "thinking-outside-the-box" nominee, but I do wish she was younger (ageism!!!).

Peggy Noonan, as is her way, makes several good points today. But even she admits what is really at the heart of the Meirs controversy - no one knows how she will rule:
Back to Ms. Meirs herself, and the merits of her nomination. What would she be like on the bench? I know the answer. So do you. It's: Nobody knows. It's all a mystery.
Meanwhile, as much as I hate to admit it, Coulter makes a good point:
Unfortunately for Bush, he could nominate his Scottish terrier Barney, and some conservatives would rush to defend him, claiming to be in possession of secret information convincing them that the pooch is a true conservative and listing Barney's many virtues — loyalty, courage, never jumps on the furniture ...
She then loses me in the very next paragrah:
Harriet Miers went to Southern Methodist University Law School, which is not ranked at all by the serious law school reports and ranked No. 52 by US News and World Report. Her greatest legal accomplishment is being the first woman commissioner of the Texas Lottery.
That settles it. If Coulter is against, I'm for. Count me among the Coalition of the Chillin'.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home