Monday, October 03, 2005


There's Something About Miers

posted by Rob at 2:08 PM

I really do not understand the anger of the right by Bush's latest nominee to the Supreme Court. Even the people upset qualify their statement. For example:

Andrew Sullivan: "Still, I'm not saying I oppose this nomination. At this point, I just don't know enough about her judicial views."

Instapundit:
"Perhaps they'll change my mind, but so far I'm underwhelmed."

NRO's David Frum: "I am not saying that Harriet Miers is not a legal conservative. I am not saying that she is not steely. I am saying only that there is no good reason to believe either of these things."

NRO's KLo uses Photoshop to express her unease.

I just don't understand the whining, other than to say that conservatives want a fight more than they want a good nominee. Everytime I glance over at Drudge I see reasons why Bush picked her. For instance:
Harriet Miers gave cash contribution to the Democratic National Committee in 1988 and Gore campaign -- while Bush dad was running for president!

On a conference call this morning, former RNC Chairman Ed Gillespie admitted Miers was democrat througout the 1980s; asked specifically about the Gore contribution, Gillespie said that she was a 'conservative' democrat who later became a republican
It appears - to me - that Bush made a good pick. It appears she will be a smaller target for the sort of mindless spittle directed at John Roberts by the media and Democrats, especially given that there has been a near demand for a woman to be chosen to replace O' Conner.

Look what TalkLeft is admitting (emphsis mine):
Don't expect the Senate Democrats to put up a fight on Miers. On a blogger conference call last week with Sen. Harry Reid (I wrote about it here), he told us he asked the President to consider Harriet Miers.

My initial reaction to her nomination: Relief. I served with Ms. Miers on the Martindale Hubbell-Lexis Nexis Legal Advisory Board for a few years. She resigned in 2000. ...

I didn't get to know her well, but we sat next to each other for several hours at the last meeting she attended and I liked her. We only talked law, not politics, but she won me over - and I was pre-disposed not to like her, that being the year that Bush was running for President and knowing she was his personal lawyer.
For those worried about whether she is conservative enough, glance at this profile from TIME:
As for her opinions on hot button social issues, Hecht refuses to go into details. "She is conservative, and is very comfortable in the Bush Administration and has felt comfortable being his lawyer," says Hecht, who is known as an arch-conservative jurist in Texas. "She's far more reasonable than I am."
So is the fact she's "reasonable" her big sin?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home