Friday, November 18, 2005


Easy pickings

posted by Rob at 9:24 AM

I know college students and their silly thoughts should be off limits. It's better to let sleeping bowls of mush lie than pick apart their oh so, like, deep thoughts and stuff. But Appalachian student Millie Tolleson is just asking for some ridicule with her mindless waste of bytes entitled "Women: take politics back" (did they ever have it to begin with?).

A sample:
I am a Democrat. I am a pacifist. I was against the war in Iraq from the beginning. I believe in heavy gun control. I am pro-choice. I stand strongly for gay rights. I am environmentally conscious. I believe in a staunch separation of church and state. ...

I will freely admit that I don’t have the answers to the problems we are facing domestically or in our foreign policy. But I will always vote for the person who shows the most compassion and optimism for the situation.

I will always vote for those who are willing to make improvements using change, not consistency.
Do you get that? She values "compassion" and "optimism," which are feel-good emotional adjectives. She doesn't care about any specifics, as long as the person makes her feel good.

But that last sentence is the kicker - she votes for change, not consistency. Yet Iraq should have been left alone, and abortion rights, so-called gay rights and the illusion of a seperation of church and state should all remain untouched.

She ends her musing with a call to women:
It is your responsibility as a citizen of this country to have an opinion on issues that will affect you, whether you think they will or not.
I know what she's attempting to say yet, for some reason, she doesn't know how to say it. Everyone has an opinion on issues, but it seems very few have an informed one. There is a difference.

1 Comments:

Blogger millie tolleson said...

I am glad to see random people are reading my writing. Even if they do assume it will be crap from the very beginning just because I am currently pursuing higher education.

9:40 PM, December 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home